Sunday, September 26, 2010

The Alpine Restaurant

Okay- call off the hounds. I'm alive- I'm well, I'm just... swamped! Life caught up, my summer in the sun ended abruptly and the real world came knocking.  Trust me, this doesn't mean I stopped eating copious amounts of locally produced food, it just means that I've been resembling some sort of sloth-like creature in my "free" time.... working for a living is HARD, sheesh :-) 
Enough about me! Now that I want to write a blog, I'm not sure which place to write about- after all, I've been to quite a few newbies (for the blog at least).  I think that The Alpine is a good place to get back on the food-blog horse though.
Located in my lovely home away from home (H to the Onesdale), the Alpine is the area's Premier German-American Restaurant.  My family has been going to The Alpine ever since we moved to NEPA from NY, and it is a particular favorite of the men in my family.  That said- it has something for everyone... almost everyone- if you are a Vegan or Vegetarian, you might want to skip right to the dessert menu.  Which as a vegetarian for many years, I did- and that was alright by me! For the more carnivorous of our readers though, check this: all of their sausages and prime meats are home made, and cured on site, and they are mega delicious. 
For my meal, I opted for the bratwurst lunch special, served with (go on, guess...) mashed potatoes (bliss!) and a side of apple sauce (cole slaw is a choice too).  But- if you need holding over, they also offer tasty appetizers such as Baked Brie with Fruit, and Smoked Salmon with Capers, Cream Cheese and Toast, among others.  Before the meal, warm homemade rye and pumpernickel bread was served, and as a girl that likes an excuse to eat butter and carbs- this was a great start to my meal.  The bratwurst was grilled (I had the option to broil, but come on...) and really tasty- moist and flavorful, and mild. Yum! But, as always- the main event for me were those mashed potatoes.  They were buttery and sweet, and I don't know if I've mentioned this... but I really think mashed potatoes done right are the food of... well, at least my potato loving/Irish gods.  When I finished tearing through that, I was good and full.  But anyone who's anyone knows that you can't visit The Alpine without eating dessert, because it's Ridiculous.  Some examples include Krocant Baskets which are Honey Almond baskets painted with dark chocolate filled with assorted mousses and Eclairs which they describe as traditional pate a choux baked to golden brown, filed with creamy vanilla custard. But what did I have? Only the world's most outrageous peanut butter pie.  Seriously people.  With a graham cracker crust, a layer of rich chocolate gnash, and a peanut butter mousse that is topped with whipped cream and a chocolate drizzle- this peanut butter pie cannot be duplicated or recycled (big thanks to Missy Elliot for her coining of that epic lyrical set). 
So my suggestion? Bring your man here if you want to show him who really loves him! Bring your lady here if she needs a chocolate intervention- Single? Bring yourself and/or a friend here because you love yourself! It's good stuff!
Business Hours:
Monday                 Closed
Tuesday           11:30-4PM
Wed/Thurs      11:30-8PM
Fri/Sat             11:30-9PM
Sunday            11:30-5PM

1106 Texas Palmyra Highway
Route 6 East of Honesdale
Honesdale, PA 18431







4 comments:

  1. my grandma has worked there for 19 years. i LOVE the food, the ambiance and the everyone who works there. great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica,
    Thanks for the post. i have not been to The Alpine in quite some time. Now that I've been prompted, I'll have to take a trip up. From what I remember, the food was great. I think even my ex-wife loved the smoked pork chop. And she was not a foodie. My favorite German restaurant was always the Edelweis on Rt 940. Haven't been there in a while either. Have you? How does it compare?
    Anyway, as for restaurants to possibly review, have you tried the Vietnamese restaurant on N. Washington? Ordered out from there once, and found it to be pretty good. Would like to read your opinion.
    Thanks! Keep up the good work!
    Wade

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica- you're right about the ambiance and the waitstaff- it only adds to the whole experience! Wade- I haven't been there, but now it's on the list officially. I have not gone to the Vietnamese place yet- I've heard mixed reviews thus far, so it fell down on the list a bit. I would like to get there soon though. Thank you both for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you're back posting and thanks for The Alpine review.

    ReplyDelete