Friday, June 25, 2010

Chicano's Restaurant

With my trusty foodie sidekick away for the week, I admit that I was feeling a bit apprehensive about this week's adventure... you know, I'm not even sure why.  So far, the restaurants have been new(s) to me (ha!)- And I want to save a newbie for our duel adventure.   But, then I realized, as a strict vegetarian for the last 3 years- I was never able to try a large majority of dishes from the local hotspots. Due to a variety of reasons (none of which are the focus of this blog) I'm taking the summer off- i.e.: eating meat, ergo- some of my favorite spots are LIKE new to me. My best friend, Rosaleen, suggested that although I have eaten at Chicano's (yum) in South Scranton, I haven't truly experienced it because I haven't eaten the meat- seemed like reason enough to me! Off we go!

Chicano's is the real-deal- a family run business (right out of their home!) with undeniably authentic Mexican food at outrageously affordable prices. Rosaleen immediately struck up a rapport with our server, as they talked World Cup semantics, and I stretched out and prepared for the gorging that was about to take place.  We both ordered steak tacos with green sauce ($1!) and Rosaleen ordered a Chicken Tamale and Horchata (what I think was vanilla rice milk that is spiced with cinnamon).  Recently married, Rose and her husband Michael honeymooned in Mexico, and apparently Horchata is served everywhere.  Not to simplify, but it reminded me of the milk left after a tasty bowl of Cinnamon Toast Crunch- in other words, guilty pleasure of goodness. The tacos were simply and deliciously seasoned and served in a soft corn tortilla with cilantro and onion- So delicious, that I ordered a second (I haven't even got to the main course yet!). The tamale's are only served on the weekends- but well worth the wait.  Made of a corn-based dough called masa with your choice of meat (chicken in our case) and served with green salsa, they are traditionally cooked wrapped in a cornhusk that is removed before devouring the tasty treats! Tender and delicious, they were, hands down, the best tamale I've ever had.

For her main course, Rosaleen had a steak burrito with jalapeƱo’s and a little cheese on the inside.  This wasn't a wet (or enchilada style) burrito- it was very simple in it's conception, and again, quite authentic.  The Americanization of the burrito included stuffing it with rice and beans, and covering it with enchilada sauce- and not to say that I don't enjoy that saucy treat (I ordered enchilada’s myself)- but this was a perfect burrito.  The simplicity really allowed each flavor to stand for itself and be enjoyed. So tasty.

As for my meal- the chicken enchiladas were spot on.  Enchilada’s, for those of you not obsessively concerned with eating like myself, differ from a burrito primarily in the use of the corn tortilla instead of the flour.  There are several varieties, but I had what would commonly be referred to as enchiladas verdes: green enchiladas made with green enchilada sauce that is made of tomatillos and green chilis. Sliced sweet onion on top, combined with the cilantro put me over the top and sent me spiraling in foodie heaven.  Let me add, that we ordered all of this for under $20!

I admit it, I am a food junkie.  I love eating.  I love settling down around a table with friends and enjoying conversation, laughter and good food.  I love local restaurants, run by real families, because it feels deeply important to me to preserve the truth and authenticity of a community and it's people.  I know that it may seem simple, but I think that the preservation of local restaurants and appreciation of the food forges a connection to our roots.  One of the most beautiful things about America, as I envision it's potential to be, is this melting pot of cultures- of preserving and sharing cultural heritage- of supporting and celebrating one another and understanding that through our differences we have the potential to create something truly wonderful.

Chicano's Restaurant
902 Prospect Ave., Scranton
Phone: 570-341-0841
Hours: Tuesday to Sunday 11 a.m.-8 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment