Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Amber Indian Restaurant

My favorite time of day is to get up and eat 
leftovers from dinner, especially spicy food- 
David Byrne.
     I grew up in a hot dogs and mac and cheese type of family. When I was in Elementary School, my big sister Amanda  left for college, and looking back, with 9 years between us she seemed to morph in my mind to an amalgamation of  part reality, part big-sister/superhero idealization (don't get me wrong, she is still part superhero).  I tell you this because had ANYONE tried to get me to eat something off my tried and true All-American path other than her, I probably would have thought they were trying to inflict bodily harm, blown a raspberry in their face and given them a swift kick in the shins (this is a dramatization, please do not judge the child-version of me). She made us an Indian cuisine inspired dinner that night, modeled after a meal she had at a professors home.  I wish I could remember exactly what it was that she served us- but I do know this: It had cumin.  I really believe that was the moment that my foodie love began- I didn't know what else was out there, but I knew that I wanted to try it- Who knew that spicy could be hot and still savory or that a licorice flavor (in the form of anise or thai-basil) could make a meal come to life? Who knew that coconut milk was so delectable? Who knew that a meal could be delicious and filling without any meat? Who knew? 
     Amber Indian Restaurant for one, they knew.  Again, my introduction to this Scranton hot-spot came from my trusted all-things-Scranton authority and best friend, Rose.  Truth be told, I've been going to Amber for years- and I have yet to turn down an invite to this place.  If a new acquaintance or possible romantic interest says to you, "How about Amber" I would argue that they have passed the "good character" challenge.  My Co-Pilot Jean though, wasn't sure it would be her cup of tea- she is, after all, what i lovingly refer to as a purist- she likes fresh flavors and spicy isn't her thing and to be honest, I was nervous too.  Never fear though Scranton- Amber didn't disappoint- in fact, I even heard the word "phenomenal" used!  Jean ordered the Chicken Tikka Masala after our server told her it was "the best thing on the menu" (lucky!), and apparently feeling somewhat subconsciously spiteful, I requested something spicy from the vegetarian dishes, and was directed to Navrattan Korma.  Additionally we ordered some Naan (leavened, smoky bread) and a side of Raita (very similiar to tatziki- this is yogurt with shredded cucumber served chilled).  
The Chicken Tikka Masala is a boneless chicken broiled in a tandoor (a clay oven that reaches temperatures of 900°F, heated by charcoal or wood fire, the Naan is also cooked here). The color is a vibrant orange-red, which traditionally is achieved through spices such as Cayenne, red chili powder, or Tumeric, which produces the vibrant hue. The menu at Amber simply lists green spices and tomato with a light cream sauce.  This dish was not spicy- it was sweet with a taste of garlic and oh yes, cream.  It was quite delicious, and as a bonus paired nicely with the basmati rice and the cool yogurt sauce. I don't doubt that it's one of the best dishes on the menu- I know I couldn't abide a single taste, and kept sneaking in for more.
     Now on the other hand, the Navratan Korma had some major heat. "Navratan" translated means: Nine Gems- so it featured nine garden vegetables cooked in spices (best guess: ground pepper, tumeric, cumin) with, you guessed it, a tomato cream sauce.  What I love about spicy Indian food, is what I said before- it's hot- but with purpose.  The heat isn't about pain, it's about extracting all the flavors and they really did this well. Jean was a trooper, trying the dish, and even finishing the whole bite (thadda girl!). Mega tasty- I'd risk a runny nose any day to eat this stuff! At the risk of making myself even less cool- check out that photo opp! That's a girl and her food if I ever saw it!
     Amber never lets me down... well, except when they leave the Palak Paneer out of the lunch buffet... But, really, I've never had a bad meal there. They're good people, it's good food. Simple enough- so, you know what I'm going to tell you now-if you haven't already, get there! And if you have, now's a good time to get reacquainted!
3505 Birney Avenue
Moosic, PA 18507

Hours
Open 7 days/week
Lunch: 11AM-3PM
Dinner: 5PM-10PM

No comments:

Post a Comment