Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The Tea Bar

   You know that feeling when you have a HUGE meal, and your whole body feels like it's bursting? Your stomach swells and gets heavy, you feel lethargic (at the very best) and you can actually see your hips widening and jean size climbing? I'm sad (and slightly, strangely proud) to admit that during the summer, this tends to be a trend with me.  Out of work (the reward for a year of teaching I suppose) and anxious for something to do, I generally fill my idle hours with the consumption of too much food- and whenever possible, sweets.  So when a friend told me of a recent eating expedition to Scranton's (relatively) new Tea Bar, and described it as "food that feels like it's nourishing your body, but doesn't make you feel heavy"- I knew I needed to go.  I told Jean about it- she needed to go too, and then life, as it often does, took hold, and we both ended up going separately, and loving it separately.  However, because I am the part-time glutton of the blog, I get to write about it since I had WAY more than my co-pilot.  I would like to note at this time that when you google Synonyms of Glutton the result is quite enjoyable: epicure, gorger, gormandizer, gourmand, hefty eater, hog, pig, sensualist, stuffer... I like hefty eater the best. 
I brought Rose with me, because no one likes to eat it up (quite literally) like me except for Rose (oh- and Candice... and now that you mention it, Jenna.... okay- foodies beget foodies I suppose).  The Tea Bar is quite inauspicious outside- a small sign notes it's presence, declaring it The Healthiest food in NEPA- quite unassuming and demure.  The inside is equally calm- quite zen if you will, lots of greens and glasstop tables and the delightful Vysotsky family as our hosts and servers for the meal.  Little do they know that Rose and I are about to eat them out of house and home.  If anyone can make super healthy food gluttonous it's the two of us.  We begin with each of the soup offered - Butternut Squash and a Vegetable Medley soup- which, Alex (the owner) tells us are both Vegan. Yum! They are both full of flavor, but the natural flavors of the ingredients rather than a dash of this or that- as a nice addition there is a dash of fresh dill on the Butternut squash- we of course end up combining the two by the conclusion of our soup indulgence, and that is delicious too.
   Next- we each ordered a sandwich- both served on Sprouted Bread served by the family's daughter.  The benefits of Sprouted bread have been espoused by many- including, probably most notably, the Raw Foods community in addition to people who have diabetes, and those who follow a Gluten free diet.  Sprouted Bread is made from whole grains that have sprouted (or germinated says the ever-helpful wikipedia) and is cooked at a very low temperature or not at all.  Our bodies tend to process this type of bread like a plant, and the grains retain their natural enzymes. The tea bar also uses Organic ingredients, which is always a nice benefit- avoiding pesticides and genetically modified food sources.  I ordered a  Portabella Mushroom sandwich served with dill, hummus, and melted cheese. Rose ordered Chicken salad sandwich with sweet, dried cranberries.  There was very little mayonnaise, only enough to bond the ingredients together.  We each ate one half of each sandwich.  Pause to note that I fall deeply in love at this moment, and as such the portabella sandwich has been recreated at my house every single day since I went to the tea bar (although, I switched the cheese to Goat Cheese, because- well come on, Goat Cheese is unbelievable). The Chicken Salad was light and delicious- filling but, just like my friend said, left us feeling nourished not stuffed. *As a side note, if you want to get thoroughly confused look up the spelling/debate about Portobello vs Portabella, geez louise!
   And because we weren't stuffed, and found this confusing, we thought we'd go for dessert while we were at it.  The younger son of the family took over our service at this time, and he is delightful, just like his sister and father.  He tells us the family is from Russia, and has such a nice air about him- reminding you of all the nice bits of childhood.  I tell you this, because it really adds to the experience- it's comforting and homey. We order one of each the desserts,  a mixed berry mixed berry zabaglione and tiramiso and also a loose leaf Chai tea to share (it is afterall, The Tea Bar, with over 30 teas to choose from).  Rose, the authority on Tiramiso, loves it- and I (the authority on sweets) LOVE the zabaglione- a light custard, whipped and filled with air, with delicious berries- perfecto. The tea is also organic and very nice, and one order is enough even for the two of us. Just for good measure, Rose picks up some of their delicious whole-grain cookies on the way out for the family. By the way, we spent less than $30 on SO MUCH FOOD.
   Realization: Wow, I love this place.  Seriously- I LOVE it.  I have anxiety about how to explain how fabulous it is, but I'll try to sum it up.
   Go early- eat well- feel fabulous knowing you're doing right by your body while supporting a great effort by local merchants!


431 Lackawanna Ave., Scranton. 
570.941.3333
Mon-Thurs: 10am-4pm
Friday: 10am-8pm

2 comments:

  1. Hello! I just came upon your blog through a friend of mine who just moved to NEPA. I have lived here for 3 years (I work at the U), and I frequent at least half of the places you have reviewed so far. I LOVE the Tea Bar, and find your reviews hilarious and fun and spot-on. I'm following y'all on Google Reader now! Just wanted to make your acquaintance. :) --Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Donna!! School has just started for Jessica and I, and boy have we been busy! But hope to be out and about eating (and writing) our way through Scranton some more!! PS: I am craving a fresh juice drink from Tea Bar as we speak!

    ReplyDelete