Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Café Beignet


The most delightful treats are sometimes the most unexpected ones. I decided to go for a bike ride one Saturday morning, but after a mere 3 blocks from home I felt hungry. Surprise surprise. Saturday morning bike ride turned snack time real fast. I decided to scoot up to Café Beignet, for my very first beignet experience. When I initially moved to Scranton I would admire this bright blue building and say…what is a beignet (or ‘big-net’ as I would say…horrible I know). After hearing friends pronounce the name correctly, a light switched on and the “aha” moment happened…“ohhh beignet” (or my phonetic pronunciation: ben-yay. I’m Italian, not French). Beignet is literally translated to “fried dough” in French. Here in America, beignets are almost always associated with New Orleans, specifically at Café Du Monde, and are the official state doughnut (why a state has an official doughnut I’m not exactly sure but regardless…). Scranton is no New Orleans, but the beignet magic that happens at this local eatery is out of this world. So, as I’m out of breath from biking slightly up hill, and my helmet still on, I dished out a whopping $0.75, waited about 30 seconds for a freshly fried made-to-order beignet and was soon in complete fantasy world. Once I took my first bite of this fluffy fried dough the first words that came out of my mouth were (forgive me Lord), “oh-my-God,” along with a cloud of powdered sugar. SO good. I don’t know what more to say. Super cheep, delicious, cultural (if you will), and most importantly a convenient bike ride from my house! Best quick-stop-for-breakfast place around. A beignet would be my choice, but they offer breakfast sandwiches, muffins, cookies, bagels, and of course…coffee.


Café Beignet is open from 6:45am – noon, where the next-door Pizzeria (Gabriele’s Pizza) opens from noon – 10pm. Most interestingly, The Milk Saving Starving Children Foundation (MiSSC) formed Café Beignet, where all proceeds generated will benefit the foundation. The purpose of this foundation is to provide vitamin-fortified powdered milk to starving children locally and around the world. For more insider look as to how Café Beignet is helping this foundation check out their website in our links section.

Support a local business, support an inspiring foundation.

No comments:

Post a Comment