Monday, July 5, 2010

Eden

Jean and I both REALLY like Eden.  So, when Christian Pilosi (the owner) posted on our wall (via facebook) to come check it out- it was a no-brainer.  Honestly, I probably could have written a thorough glowing review about Scranton's only Vegan eatery without actually stepping foot in the restaurant, but I'm not about to turn down the opportunity to grab a bite there.  So, Jean and I hopped on our bike's and cruised over to Eden.
Eden is, as I mentioned, a Vegan restaurant.  Meat-happy diner's don't run for the hills yet-stay put! What the crew at Eden has managed to do is make this lifestyle choice accessible for the average Scranton'ian.  The menu features steak and cheese, salmon wraps, hamburgers, and a slew of carnivorous options- only, without the actual meat.  The meat substitutes are generally made from soy protein or wheat gluten, and they are overwhelmingly meat-like in texture. The flavors are remarkably spot on in my many cases- achieved primarily through seasoning.  Another cool feature is that, the meals are lighter- and in many cases low in fat and cholesterol.  In addition to a full-menu, the staff at Eden whips up an expansive specials menu each day- including soups, salads, and sandwiches! So- let's get to the food!
Jean and I both opted for specials today- both without any vegan meat, although- let me say however that if you're looking for an outrageous chicken cheese steak, this should be your first stop! Jean beat me to the chase and ordered The Foxy Lady Panini- which is served on fresh Tuscany Italian bread with portabello mushrooms, roasted red peppers, (vegan) mozzarella cheese, Italian dressing and leafy greens which is than panini'ized (pressed and melted!).  I had the black bean wrap, served cold with avocado, cilantro, carrot and greens. Each sandwich comes with a side and a pickle- Jean ordered the notorious "smashed potato's" (the overwhelmingly Irish girl in me gives them 2 ma-jah(!) thumbs up) and I had the veggie side. We split our bounty, each of us taking one half of both sandwiches.  I inhaled the foxy lady- so delicious and fresh! The mozzarella cheese is really tasty, and I promise you as a world-renowed cheese lover,  I'm speaking the truth! The bread was perfectly toasty and crisp, really giving this light summer meal a nice burst of texture.  The black bean wrap was really delicious!  It had a little Latin flaire with the fresh avocado, cilantro and as a former vegetarian, I cannot espouse the wonders carrot can do for a veggie wrap! The simple addition of carrot give the wrap that crunch it needed tying it all together.
It is the attention to detail that impresses me so much at Eden.  Meals are not simply thrown together- rather they are well-crafted, well-thought-out, fully formed meals.  The flavour combinations will impress even the most picky eater.  Seasonal flavors are utilized regularly in scrumtous and inventive ways (check out the soup selection!) while still catering, quite thoughtfully, to the tastes of Scranton!

344 Adams Ave.
Scranton, PA 18503
Hours: Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday 11 a.m.-4:30 p.m., Wednesday 11 a.m.-8 p.m., Saturday noon-4:30 p.m. 

No comments:

Post a Comment