Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Basil 101



One of my favorite things about summer is growing herbs. As a child my mother would grow the most outstanding basil plants that I’m sure would have won awards for producing as much as they did. Today I am venturing into the art of “basil mothering” on my own, and as they say “like mother like daughter…” my basil plant is growing at a pace my taste buds can’t seem to keep up with. Basil is such a versatile herb that seems to be hinting each dish I make lately. A couple days ago when I visited the Scranton Farmer’s Market I noticed bunches of herbs (including basil) sold for only $0.75. And these bunches were generous enough to keep any basil fanatic satisfied for at least a week and a half. I thought to myself…why pluck, water, and talk to a plant if I could buy the same thing for $0.75 a week? I don’t really know, maybe next year I will. Only the more reason to trot yourself up to Scranton’s Farmer’s Market, I guess.

So, I’d love to share my favorite basil pesto recipe with all of you:

3 cups basil leaves (I usually take a 3-cup measuring cup outside with me and just start plucking away until the cup is filled)

A couple springs of parsley (this is optional…about ¼ cup, if you’re measuring)

½ cup olive oil (good olive oil, please)

½ cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (the good stuff, please)

1-teaspoon salt (a generous sprinkle)

½ teaspoon black pepper

Juice from 1 whole lemon

2-3 cloves of garlic (crushed)

3 tablespoons of toasted pine nuts or walnuts (completely optional)

Put all ingredients except the olive oil in a blender or food processor and put that baby on high speed while slowly drizzling in the olive oil. Let ‘er rip until she’s smooth and delicious.

This pesto is not a dip…it’s not really meant to be eaten by the spoonful, rather it’s best used as a spread on bread with mozzarella cheese and diced tomatoes (pesto bruschetta, if you will), or as a sauce for pasta (simple enough), an addition to a regular grilled cheese sandwich, a substitution for butter with corn on the cob (as you can see the one and only Jenna enjoying in the photograph), or my personal favorite- as a marinade for chicken or fish. Clearly there are few ingredients in pesto, but they should all be high quality or else you’re left with a pesto that tastes more like a mess-o project in your mouth.

[If you do have a basil plant, or wish to grow your own I have a few tips for sustaining the vivacious herb. Firstly, basil likes to be treated like a fine Italian woman. It likes the sun; it likes to bake in the sun until the soil (or skin on a woman) is dry, then after a long day of baking…it likes to be soaked with water to sustain perfect hydration…and talk to her every now and again. Also, a hair cut at least every other day is mandatory. When the basil starts to flower, (little white buds come out of the top) pluck them off right away so the plant continues to produce new leaves. Or…you could always go to the Scranton Farmer’s Market and buy a bundle.]

3 comments: